[ppml] Fw: Can a Customer take their IP's with them? (Court says yes!)

Ed Allen Smith easmith at beatrice.rutgers.edu
Tue Jun 29 20:13:31 EDT 2004

In message <16609.64768.449465.342611 at ran.psg.com> (on 29 June 2004 16:36:32
-0700), randy at psg.com (Randy Bush) wrote:
>>> my opinion is that it makes little difference.  one should not
>>> confiscate property, whether loaned or owned.
>> If the property is loaned (whether or not it was previously
>> loaned to the new loaning party) under conditions, and said
>> conditions are violated, then the loan is properly
>> terminated/terminatable. In order to prevent further abuse, this
>> termination may need to be adrupt, whether or not courtesy
>> dictates that said termination not be adrupt without the element
>> of abuse involved.
>
>you are entitled to your opinion, thought it might be more polite
>if it was couched as such.

I am not quite sure what of the above, of what I have written, is an
opinion, as opposed to a fact (e.g., about how loans work) or a deduction from
said facts. I may, of course, have gotten either my facts or my deductions
wrong, and would appreciate any correction on this regard.

>as it stands, the nsp security community has means of dealing with
>gross violations of the internet.

I am uncertain as to how much difference a (properly-informed) court would
see between not routing from (or otherwise blocking on a large scale) an IP
address and removing the IP address from a party's control, given that the
function of an IP address is communication.

	 -Allen

--
Allen Smith			http://cesario.rutgers.edu/easmith/
September 11, 2001		A Day That Shall Live In Infamy II