[ppml] whois.arin.net and bulk requests

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Thu Jun 24 07:52:26 EDT 2004

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 Michael.Dillon at radianz.com wrote:

> May I suggest that you look into offering it as an uncompressed
> flat file using rsync only. If you read the technical report
> http://samba.anu.edu.au/rsync/documentation.html
> then you will see why this will consume, much, much less
> bandwidth than supplying a compressed file or using
> ftp. Only changed data will be transferred.

I kind of already implied all that.  Even if they are (for whatever
reason) totally against installing a new protocol (there have been some
rsyncd security issues recently), publishing the data as both 80mb file
and daily diffs is a no brainer and would accomplish much of the bandwidth
savings of rsync...just requiring a little more work at the remote ends to
download the right diff(s) and apply them.

> Rsync is available for Windows as well as UNIX and Macintosh

Diff and patch are also available for these platforms.

I wonder though, are there any compelling reasons for ARIN not to release
bulk whois data in more useful formats, such as might be more directly
usable to setup local whois mirrors?