[ppml] whois.arin.net and bulk requests

Michael.Dillon at radianz.com Michael.Dillon at radianz.com
Thu Jun 24 05:40:48 EDT 2004

> The bulk WHOIS data is provided in a compressed flat file, accessed via
ftp
> and updated daily.  The file is about 80 megabytes.  The ARIN whois
daemon
> is not available to the general public.

May I suggest that you look into offering it as an uncompressed
flat file using rsync only. If you read the technical report
http://samba.anu.edu.au/rsync/documentation.html
then you will see why this will consume, much, much less
bandwidth than supplying a compressed file or using
ftp. Only changed data will be transferred.

Rsync is available for Windows as well as UNIX and Macintosh

--Michael Dillon