[ppml] Proposed Policy: PI assignments for V6

da Silva, Ron rdasilva at va.rr.com
Thu Dec 9 11:10:24 EST 2004

> That makes more sense to me, but the question is how is this
considered
> when applying for address space on a rir? if a mobile operator claims
> that he needs a /48 for each handset, does he get the address space
> requested?

I don't think I was advocating a /48 for each handset.  What entity on
the mobile network does the address allocation?  That component could be
assigned the /48 and then in turn the handset is assigned a) /128 from a
/64 segment on the assigning device b) /64 subnet from the /48 block or
c) multiple /64's from the /48 block from the assigning device.

-ron