[ppml] Proposed Policy: PI assignments for V6

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Wed Dec 8 14:09:15 EST 2004

Thus spake "marcelo bagnulo braun" <marcelo at it.uc3m.es>
> so, i guess that the right thing to do would be to assign a /48 to each
> mobile phone, right?
>
> since RFC 3177 states that:
>       -  /48 in the general case, except for very large subscribers.
>       -  /64 when it is known that one and only one subnet is needed by
>          design.
>       -  /128 when it is absolutely known that one and only one device
>          is connecting.
>
> and since  we cannot be sure that a mobile phone will have a single
> subnetwork behind, i guess that the /48 would be the proper choice
>
> I am sorry but i think this is a huge waste.
> For the time being, most of mobile phones will not have a manet behind,
> not one not many subnetworks. I think there must be something very wrong
> if we assign a /48 to each mobile phone

Do mobile phones even count as an "assignment"?  i.e. will ISPs be assigning
a static prefix to each customer, regardless of location, and putting SWIP
info in WHOIS?  I admit I'm not familiar with what the telcos are planning,
but this seems ridiculous.

I would expect each cell tower (or whatever the logical unit is) to be
assigned a /64, and phones would be individual hosts with addresses provided
by DHCP or autoconfiguration.  If a phone allowed hosts behind it, they
could be bridged into that same subnet.