[ppml] Proposed Policy: PI assignments for V6

Geoff Huston gih at apnic.net
Wed Dec 8 14:49:15 EST 2004

>>I am sorry but i think this is a huge waste.
>>For the time being, most of mobile phones will not have a manet behind,
>>not one not many subnetworks. I think there must be something very wrong
>>if we assign a /48 to each mobile phone
>
>Do mobile phones even count as an "assignment"?

Would personal LANs such as Bluetooth alter this perspective in any way?
The challenge here is to craft policies that look forward and attempt to
anticipate some of the more obvious near term technologies.

Its also worth bearing in mind the larger picture of the total address
space - even if there was to be a /48 for each mobile handset, what's the
total address consumption. 1 billion handsets is 30 bits. Allowing for an
HD ration of 0.8 there is a further 8 bits - i.e. this is a /10, or
1/1000th of the total address space.

Of course this arithmetic allows 16 bits for a personal lAN. Maybe its
worth considering a slightly smaller subnet size - an 8 bit subnet would
imply that the total consumption would be a /18, for the entire deployment
across 1 billion such devices . So perhaps a /56 per customer allocation in
such context may represent a possible balance between total consumption and
recognition of this emerging personal lan technology. Its worth considering
in any case.

regards,

   Geoff Huston