[ppml] Proposed Policy: PI assignments for V6

marcelo bagnulo braun marcelo at it.uc3m.es
Wed Dec 8 13:40:23 EST 2004

El 08/12/2004, a las 15:43, David Kessens escribió:

> Marcelo,
>
> On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 03:17:35PM +0100, marcelo bagnulo braun wrote:
>>
>> well, reading RFC 3177 recommends to assign:
>>
>>       -  /128 when it is absolutely known that one and only one device
>>          is connecting.
>>
>> i guess that most current mobile phones would fit in this category
>> (yes
>> i am familiar with manets and so on but i guess that most cell phones
>> only connect one device)
>
> You are describing why mobiles don't fit in the /128 category:
> it is certainly not absolutely known that only one device is
> connecting.

so, i guess that the right thing to do would be to assign a /48 to each
mobile phone, right?

since RFC 3177 states that:
       -  /48 in the general case, except for very large subscribers.
       -  /64 when it is known that one and only one subnet is needed by
          design.
       -  /128 when it is absolutely known that one and only one device
          is connecting.

and since  we cannot be sure that a mobile phone will have a single
subnetwork behind, i guess that the /48 would be the proper choice

I am sorry but i think this is a huge waste.
For the time being, most of mobile phones will not have a manet behind,
not one not many subnetworks. I think there must be something very
wrong if we assign a /48 to each mobile phone

regards, marcelo