[ppml] Proposed Policy: PI assignments for V6

David Kessens david.kessens at nokia.com
Wed Dec 8 09:43:24 EST 2004

Marcelo,

On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 03:17:35PM +0100, marcelo bagnulo braun wrote:

> well, reading RFC 3177 recommends to assign:
>
>       -  /128 when it is absolutely known that one and only one device
>          is connecting.
>
> i guess that most current mobile phones would fit in this category (yes
> i am familiar with manets and so on but i guess that most cell phones
> only connect one device)

You are describing why mobiles don't fit in the /128 category:
it is certainly not absolutely known that only one device is
connecting.

> >I agree that the 200 limit is not optimal. However, I have not heard
> >of a single mobile provider who could not get the ipv6 addresses that
> >they needed.
>
> Agree, but i guess that the point is that policy should be crisp and
> clear and should express the reality
> But this is a different discussion, imho, and i guess this is a more
> local discussion.
> My concern with this PI initiative is that i see more of a global issue

I agree that there is issues with the current policy for various
categories of address space users but I don't see the problem for
mobile providers. They clearly qualify and the registries agree
considering the allocations that have been done so far.

David Kessens
---