[ppml] Proposed Policy: PI assignments for V6

marcelo bagnulo braun marcelo at it.uc3m.es
Wed Dec 8 09:17:35 EST 2004

Hi David,

El 08/12/2004, a las 13:32, David Kessens escribió:

> Marcelo,
>
> On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 08:40:53PM +0100, marcelo bagnulo braun wrote:
>>
>> imho this is problem with current policy and need to be changed. This
>> is not only a problem with small ISPs as you mention, but it is also a
>> problem for transit providers who only sell transit to other isp and
>> that may be less than 200, it is also a problem for mobile providers
>> who may have millions of customers, but they only assign a /128 or a
>> /64.
>
> I haven't seen any plans for mobile providers to assign /128's.

well, reading RFC 3177 recommends to assign:

       -  /128 when it is absolutely known that one and only one device
          is connecting.

i guess that most current mobile phones would fit in this category (yes
i am familiar with manets and so on but i guess that most cell phones
only connect one device)

> I agree that the 200 limit is not optimal. However, I have not heard
> of a single mobile provider who could not get the ipv6 addresses that
> they needed.

Agree, but i guess that the point is that policy should be crisp and
clear and should express the reality
But this is a different discussion, imho, and i guess this is a more
local discussion.
My concern with this PI initiative is that i see more of a global issue

Regards, marcelo