[ppml] Proposed Policy: PI assignments for V6

william(at)elan.net william at elan.net
Wed Dec 8 07:55:51 EST 2004

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 Michael.Dillon at radianz.com wrote:

> > Right... The v4 swamp was assigned before CIDR.  The v4 swamp also has
> > absolutely no right of reclamation or annual renewal.  Addresses issued
> > prior to the RIR system CAN NOT be taken away from the people that have
> > them.  Those people do not pay annual fees for them.  That is a very
> > different case from what would happen under this policy with v6.
>
> I disagree. If there is ever a real crunch on the IPv4 address
> space then we most certainly will impose annual fees on the
> swamp and/or reclaim and reissue those addresses. This is no
> different from domain names which once were free and now are
> not. IP addresses are not property. Nobody owns them. The right
> to use IP addresses derives from the community of Internet users
> and is coordinated by those users through the RIR system.

Annual maintanance fees for organizations is $100/year no matter number
of ip blocks, ASNs, etc. We could require all legacy holders to pay this
fee (it already happens to those who want ip block name changed or some
other serious service change from arin) but I doubt it will seriously
change anything and its certainly does not impose any financial
pressure on them to change how ip blocks are used.

So if we follow your intent (when there is ip4 crunch), ARIN would need
to start chargning annual maintance fees for ALL assigned ip blocks
(no matter legacy or not) in the same manner as for IPSs. I think we
might run into serious opposition to this idea from all those who have
these blocks (consider difference of paying $100/year and $5000/year!).

Reclaiming is more likely to be successfull and have positive total effect
and could free up for reuse 10 - 15% of ip4 space.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks
william at elan.net