[ppml] Proposed Policy: PI assignments for V6

Michael.Dillon at radianz.com Michael.Dillon at radianz.com
Wed Dec 8 07:07:26 EST 2004

> Right... The v4 swamp was assigned before CIDR.  The v4 swamp also has
> absolutely no right of reclamation or annual renewal.  Addresses issued
> prior to the RIR system CAN NOT be taken away from the people that have
> them.  Those people do not pay annual fees for them.  That is a very
> different case from what would happen under this policy with v6.

I disagree. If there is ever a real crunch on the IPv4 address
space then we most certainly will impose annual fees on the
swamp and/or reclaim and reissue those addresses. This is no
different from domain names which once were free and now are
not. IP addresses are not property. Nobody owns them. The right
to use IP addresses derives from the community of Internet users
and is coordinated by those users through the RIR system.

--Michael Dillon