[ppml] Proposed Policy: PI assignments for V6

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Dec 8 11:55:47 EST 2004

--On Wednesday, December 8, 2004 12:07 PM +0000 Michael.Dillon at radianz.com
wrote:

>> Right... The v4 swamp was assigned before CIDR.  The v4 swamp also has
>> absolutely no right of reclamation or annual renewal.  Addresses issued
>> prior to the RIR system CAN NOT be taken away from the people that have
>> them.  Those people do not pay annual fees for them.  That is a very
>> different case from what would happen under this policy with v6.
>
> I disagree. If there is ever a real crunch on the IPv4 address
> space then we most certainly will impose annual fees on the
> swamp and/or reclaim and reissue those addresses. This is no
> different from domain names which once were free and now are
> not. IP addresses are not property. Nobody owns them. The right
> to use IP addresses derives from the community of Internet users
> and is coordinated by those users through the RIR system.

Under what authority?  You have no right.  Those addresses were assigned
under an agreement that said they were assigned in perpetuity.  Any attempt
by any collection of ISPs or others to prevent them reasonable access to
the internet under terms available to any other RIR/ICANN/NIC assigned
block would be a violation of law, at least in the US.

The v4 swamp is the v4 swamp.  Draining it would require voluntary
cooperation
of the address owners.  You might or might not get that.  Certainly, you
will
meet rather fierce opposition if you attempt to simply impose it.

Owen