[ppml] Proposed Policy: PI assignments for V6

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Dec 6 13:04:51 EST 2004

--On Monday, December 6, 2004 9:41 AM -0500 "Howard, W. Lee"
<L.Howard at stanleyassociates.com> wrote:

> It was the consensus of the public when creating IPv6
> policy to enforce provider-based aggregation.  As I recall,
> this was the proposal that came from the IETF, and was
> ratified by all of the RIRs through their policy processes.

When that consensus was achieved, there were rapid/easy renumbering features
and other capabilities being proposed in IPv6 which have since been removed.
Those features were what made non-PI space acceptable to multihomed
end-sites.
Since they have been removed, current IPv6 implementations do not make
PA space as palatable to a large portion of organizations, and, as such,
the needs of the community have changed.  This is an attempt to change
ARIN policy in recognition of those changing needs.

Owen