[ppml] Proposed Policy: PI assignments for V6

marcelo bagnulo braun marcelo at it.uc3m.es
Mon Dec 6 14:10:34 EST 2004

Hi all,

i think it is not a good idea to accept this policy _now_

i think that probably a PI assignment policy will be needed in the
future, but i wouldn't promote it now.

here is why:

for several years now the community have been working on a multihoming
solution that is compatible with PA assignments. this has been
considered important in order to preserve the health of the global
routing system as you al already know.
This is a difficult problem and it is really taking quite some time to
figure out how to solve it and to reach consensus. However, some
progress is being made and i guess that we are not so far from agreeing
on which way to go. During last IETF in washington the multi6 wg agreed
to follow a path towards a solution. Yes, there is still some way to
develop and deploy a solution, but we are moving.
In any case, as you may well notice, any multihoming solution
compatible with PA addressing will require that:
- multiple PA prefixes configured in the multihomed sites (instead of
one)
- it won't provide PI addressing (so a multihomed site will still have
to renumber if it changes providers)
This two reasons make it a priori an inferior solution to obtaining PI
addressing on the eyes of the multihomed site, even though it is a much
superior solution in the eyes of the community since it preserves
global routing system scalability.
In any case, if a PI assignment policy is adopted, the PA compatible
multihoming solution won't get any chance to get deployed i guess,
since i guess that multihomed sites will have the following choices:
- A PA compatible solution which: doesn't provides provider
independence, requires multiple prefixes and it is new i.e. no
experience, no products, no previous knowledge
- a PI multihoming solution: everything works as you already know
What do you think multihomed sites will choose?

My proposal is to wait until a PA compatible solution for multihoming
is developed and some experience is gained with it. Then we can see if
it is useful and especially who is useful for. Probably it won't be
good enough for some sites, and probably then we will need a PI
asignment policy to satisfy the need of those sites.
But we shouldn't do it now, that the multihoming solution is not yet
here, and we would be killing it before it comes.

Regards, marcelo