[ppml] Policy Proposal 2003-15: IPv4 Allocation Policy for theAfrica Portion of the ARIN Region

Lee Howard lee.howard at mci.com
Tue Sep 30 16:27:57 EDT 2003

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003, Jeff S Wheeler wrote:

> Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 14:39:33 -0400
> From: Jeff S Wheeler <jsw at five-elements.com>
> To: ppml at arin.net
> Subject: Re: [ppml] Policy Proposal 2003-15: IPv4 Allocation Policy for
>     theAfrica Portion of the ARIN Region
>
> On Thu, 2003-09-25 at 10:46, Michael.Dillon at radianz.com wrote:
> > >This list is not the appropriate place for a battle of wits over how
> > ARIN's
> > >funds
> > >are spent, and the lack of work that you claim the ARIN staff is doing,
> >
> > Actually, you're probably wrong. This list *IS* the best
> > place for such a battle. However, the proper way to fire
> > the opening shots would be to propose a policy that ARIN
> > should operate with no more than 5 staff etc...

The member list would be better, but since I want to be responsive to
the public, and since I don't know who on this thread is or isn't a
member, I'll reply here.  If the thread continues, I would prefer to
move it to arin-discuss, the charter for which is "a forum for the member
community to discuss ARIN-specific issues such as fee structures and
internal policies. "

> I don't think anyone is suggesting the ARIN be limited by policy to a
> fixed head-count. My belief is simply that many expenditures by the ARIN
> are irresponsible, and that some are most likely designed to direct
> monies to personal associates of parties with spending discretion.

As Treasurer, I don't think ARIN's expenditures are irresponsible, but
that's probably tautological.
I can say that the members of the Board and ARIN's management are
extremely careful to avoid a conflict of interest, or even anything that
might even look like a conflict of interest.

> Most of the ARIN members I know who actually take the time to examine
> ARIN's annual reports are outraged by the large sums of money that are
> spent under vague headings.

Let's use http://www.arin.net/library/corp_docs/fy2002/annual_report_web.pdf
the latest annual report as an example.

ARIN's annual reports are prepared in accordance with GAAP and are
reviewed by independent auditors, who have no other relationship with
ARIN.  I'm not sure which statement (Activites?  Cash Flow?) you think
is outrageous, but we are somewhat limited on how much detail is
appropriate to present there.

We do have more flexibility in preparing the budget, but have to balance
the interest of open and transparent operations with presenting data
that are useful.  Are the headings too vague in the budget, too?
http://www.arin.net/library/corp_docs/budget.html

> If I had to come up with a reasonable proposal to address this
> "problem", it would be to increase the level of public expense
> accountability by requiring more detailed reports be prepared and
> published. I suspect that the monies spent under headings such as
> "travel and accomodations" would fall substantially, or at least give
> the membership specific issues to address.

What level of detail do you think would best serve the interest of
ARIN's membership?   I don't see a heading called "travel and
accomodations" in either the 2002 Annual Report or the 2003 Budget,
maybe you mean the "Travel" line item in the Budget.  What kind of
detail did you have in mind?

I make presentations at every Members Meeting, and they are archived
on ARIN's web site (click Meetings, Members Meeting Minutes, then
pick the meeting and look for the Treasurer's Report or Financial
Report).

> I think such a policy would be immensely valuable.
> --
> Jeff S Wheeler

It probably doesn't even need to be a policy.  As a last resort, you
can elect new Board members, though nominations for this fall are
now closed.  Also, the Treasurer is appointed by the Board annually,
so you could contact Board members and tell them to throw the bum
(me) out.

Lee Howard