[ppml] Policy Proposal 2003-15: IPv4 Allocation Policy for the Africa Portion of the ARIN Region

German Valdez german at lacnic.net.uy
Thu Sep 25 18:11:15 EDT 2003

At 05:09 a.m. 25/09/2003, Michael.Dillon at radianz.com wrote:
> >> - AfriNIC is in the process of setting up offices in four countries
>(Egypt,
> >> Ghana, Mauritius and South Africa)
>
> >Why does a NIC need offices in 4 countries?
>
>It's their organization, they can run it how they want to?
>
> >RIPE seems to have _an_
> >office in The Netherlands.  ARIN seems to have _an_ office in VA.
>
>APNIC and LACNIC both have offices in multiple countries,
>I believe 2 for APNIC and 3 for LACNIC.
>
> >Who's
> >going to fund AfriNIC's 4 offices in 4 countries with >4x the overhead of
>
> >a single office?
>
>It's their organization...

Hi Michael

Just for avoiding misundertandings regarding LACNIC operations and services.

LACNIC has only one office. This is based on Montevideo Uruguay (wheres is
legal established). LACNIC is not incoporated under any other country law
except uruguayan lesgislation.

LACNIC Members do not deal with different locations neither with
operational overhead.

 From a service point of view we have certainly an agreement with NIC
Brazil so they are hosting some servers and some human resources  in Sao
Paulo, but that is transparent for LACNIC's customers at the moment they
request for internet resources.

What I understand from AFRINIC proposal is that they will split functions
in different locations. They do not run the sames responsabilities in each
location.

>--Michael Dillon

German Valdez
LACNIC Policy Liaison