[ppml] Policy Proposal 2003-15: IPv4 Allocation Policy for the Africa Portion of the ARIN Region

Eyal Tevet eyal at connectit.co.za
Thu Sep 25 18:00:40 EDT 2003

Hi, as the network administrator of a medium to large ISP within South
Africa I have
experience these difficulties with multi-homing.  Although you are correct
that it is not
impossible to multi-home without being in the posession of a portable block
when you
have 1/2/3 allocations of /24 blocks, doing so when you have maybe 5 or 6
/26 and
/25 allocations is effectively impossible. This is largely because most
larger ISP's
(even in South Africa) will ignore any advertisements smaller than /24.

At the same time, if you do find the need to change upstream providers,
renumbering out
of, say, two to three /24's worth of address space that have been reassigned
to clients
as /30 blocks is not a simple operation. (Yes, due to the limited address
space our policy
is to assign exactly /30 blocks to fixed line clients)

As for supporting proposal 2002-3 with ammendment to support both
micro-assignments
and micro-allocations, I am 100% behind it.  However, I do believe that
there is just cause
in passing 2003-15 regardless, on grounds that:
1. There is a genuine need for it (both economic and scale)
3. It is unanimously supported within it's region
4. It would promote the internet industry within that region
5. This would increase the number of ARIN members
6. The routing table impact assessment resulting from the implementation of
2003-15 would
be invaluable to the support of 2002-3

That looks like a win win to me

Regards