[ppml] Policy Proposal 2003-15: IPv4 Allocation Policy for theAfrica Portion of the ARIN Region

Jeff S Wheeler jsw at five-elements.com
Thu Sep 25 14:39:33 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-09-25 at 10:46, Michael.Dillon at radianz.com wrote:
> >This list is not the appropriate place for a battle of wits over how
> ARIN's
> >funds
> >are spent, and the lack of work that you claim the ARIN staff is doing,
>
> Actually, you're probably wrong. This list *IS* the best
> place for such a battle. However, the proper way to fire
> the opening shots would be to propose a policy that ARIN
> should operate with no more than 5 staff etc...

[whoops!]

I don't think anyone is suggesting the ARIN be limited by policy to a
fixed head-count. My belief is simply that many expenditures by the ARIN
are irresponsible, and that some are most likely designed to direct
monies to personal associates of parties with spending discretion.

Most of the ARIN members I know who actually take the time to examine
ARIN's annual reports are outraged by the large sums of money that are
spent under vague headings.

If I had to come up with a reasonable proposal to address this
"problem", it would be to increase the level of public expense
accountability by requiring more detailed reports be prepared and
published. I suspect that the monies spent under headings such as
"travel and accomodations" would fall substantially, or at least give
the membership specific issues to address.

I think such a policy would be immensely valuable.

--
Jeff S Wheeler