[ppml] Policy Proposal 2003-15: IPv4 Allocation Policy for the Africa Portion of the ARIN Region

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Sep 25 04:04:17 EDT 2003

>> However, there are non-African ramifications to ARIN adopting 2003-15
>> which I believe override the desire to provide this solution for Africa.
>> I believe 2003-15 represents a good policy with one flaw.  It is Africa
>> specific.  As long as it is Africa specific, I will vote against it.  If
>> 2003-15 is amended to cover all of ARIN, I will vote for it.  I will vote
>> for 2002-3.
>
> this reminds me of the story of a guy with an open basket full of
> crayfish. somebody asked him if he wasn't worried that the crayfish would
> escape.. no, he replied, as soon as one makes it to the top, the others
> will drag him back down.

That is not what I am trying to do here.  If this were an AfriNIC proposal
for the AfriNIC registry, I would support it as an Africa specific proposal.
However, to make Africa specific policy in ARIN, especially on an issue
which
does need to be resolved globally, sets a very bad precedent.  It also has
the potential to further an unnecessary hardship on small(er) providers in
North America.  I think you and I agree much more than we disagree.
Hopefully,
together, we can amend and get enacted 2002-3 for assignment and allocation
before 2003-15 comes up for discussion.  That would give everyone what they
need.  If not, I'll propose amending 2003-15 to make it global, then, if the
amendment is added, I'll support it.  Hopefully one of these will move
forward for everyone.

Owen