[ppml] Policy Proposal 2003-15: IPv4 Allocation Policy for the Africa Portion of the ARIN Region

Alan Levin alan at futureperfect.co.za
Thu Sep 25 14:17:36 EDT 2003

On Thursday, Sep 25, 2003, at 09:50 Africa/Johannesburg, Johann Botha
wrote:
> Hi Owen
> >@2003.09.25_03:53:39_+0200
>> However, there are non-African ramifications to ARIN adopting 2003-15
>> which
>> I believe override the desire to provide this solution for Africa.  I
>> believe 2003-15 represents a good policy with one flaw.  It is Africa
>> specific.  As long as it is Africa specific, I will vote against it.
>> If
>> 2003-15 is amended to cover all of ARIN, I will vote for it.  I will
>> vote
>> for 2002-3.
>
> this reminds me of the story of a guy with an open basket full of
> crayfish.
> somebody asked him if he wasn't worried that the crayfish would
> escape..
> no, he replied, as soon as one makes it to the top, the others will
> drag him
> back down.

This story reminds me of how I was indoctrinated to think by the
apartheid regime.

South Africans are fortunate to be in the position to understand how
economic empowerment balances the playing field (as an attempt to
bridge the digital divide) in the development of information society
and the (hopefully global) knowledge economy.

warm regards,

Alan