[ppml] Clarification of 2002-3 and final opinion of 2003-15

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Sep 24 15:32:21 EDT 2003

--On Wednesday, September 24, 2003 2:14 PM -0500 Mury <mury at goldengate.net>
wrote:

> I want to make sure that I'm reading this correctly:
>
> "If an end-user is multi-homed, and has an ARIN assigned ASN, the minimum
> justified block of IP address space assigned by ARIN is a /22. Such
> assignment will be made from a reserve block for this purpose."

This paragraph means that ARIN can assign a /22 to that end user.  It
doesn't say anything about which block that /22 would come from or
how it would relate to other allocations or assignments.

> Does this mean that a particular block will be used exclusively for
> micro-assignments?  Only micro-assignments will be made out of this block
> and all micro-assignments will be made from this block?

I don't see that in the paragraph you quoted, no.

> In other words anyone could aggregate this block in their routing tables
> if they wanted to?  I'm thinking especially of Tier II-III providers.

Even if what you said above was true, this conclusion would be false.  If
ARIN were to allocate multiple /22s to different organizations under this
micro-assignment policy, and those organizations had different ISPs with
different upstreams, I don't see how an aggregation of those /22s would
do anything but break connectivity to some subset of them.

> If this is the case I support 2002-03.
>
> After trying to search for a good reason to support 2003-15, I haven't
> found one.  I think a sub-regional policy is asking for trouble down the
> road.

I agree.  I think from your comments above, however, that you may be
thinking
that micro-assignments as being discussed in 2002-3 are sub-assignments of
a /22.  That is not the case.  The policy is to allow ARIN to make micro-
assignments of /22s to end users.  I have proposed an amendment to extend
that capability in the policy to ISPs as well and allow ISPs to treat
it as an allocation instead of an assignment.

> Mury

I hope that clarifies.

Owen