[ppml] Policy Proposal 2003-15: IPv4 Allocation Policy for the Africa Portion of the ARIN Region

william at elan.net william at elan.net
Wed Sep 24 02:39:44 EDT 2003

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, leo vegoda wrote:

> It is worth noting that current RIPE policy allows LIRs to
> request PI address space for network operators. Both PA and PI
> assignment policies are "exactly identical with regards to the
> amount of address space assigned, the registration requirements,
> etc. This also implies that assigning PI space prefixes longer
> than 24 bits is perfectly acceptable if the request does not
> merit 8 bits of address space to be assigned."
> (http://www.ripe.net/ripe/docs/pi-pa.html)

Thank you for the clarification as I could never understood for sure if
your PI blocks can be allocated or only assigned and it was difficult to
tell for sure from allocations because so many blocks are improperly
marked in whois assigned instead of allocated and PA instead of PI.

As it appears inlike ARIN, RIPE already has policies that apply to Africa
that allow providers there to request PI space, I think it would be
interesting as feedback when considering 2003-15 to know how many PI
blocks have been allocated by RIPE to organizations with address listed in
Africa. If you have kept such statistics, please let us know for last
several years, if possible separately listing number of PI assigned and
PI Allocated space per year to organizations in Africa.

If possible also for comparison provide statistics on how LIRs in RIPE
are from Africa (i.e. like member ISPs in ARIN).

Thanks

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks