[ppml] Policy Proposal 2003-15: IPv4 Allocation Policy for the Africa Portion of the ARIN Region

leo vegoda leo at ripe.net
Wed Sep 24 07:15:16 EDT 2003

Hi William,

On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 11:39:44PM -0700, william at elan.net wrote:

[...]

> Thank you for the clarification as I could never understood for sure if
> your PI blocks can be allocated or only assigned and it was difficult to
> tell for sure from allocations because so many blocks are improperly
> marked in whois assigned instead of allocated and PA instead of PI.

We only make PI assignments, now. In the past we have made PI
allocations. The definitions we use for the terms "allocate" and
"assign" are nicely defined in the common IPv6 policy document (our
IPv4 policy documentation is being updated).

http://www.ripe.net/ripe/docs/ipv6policy.html#allocate

http://www.ripe.net/ripe/docs/ipv6policy.html#assign

> As it appears inlike ARIN, RIPE already has policies that apply to Africa
> that allow providers there to request PI space, I think it would be

Our policy applies to the whole of the RIPE NCC service region. We
do not have any policies that apply to a sub-set of countries within
our region.

> interesting as feedback when considering 2003-15 to know how many PI
> blocks have been allocated by RIPE to organizations with address listed in
> Africa. If you have kept such statistics, please let us know for last
> several years, if possible separately listing number of PI assigned and
> PI Allocated space per year to organizations in Africa.
>
> If possible also for comparison provide statistics on how LIRs in RIPE
> are from Africa (i.e. like member ISPs in ARIN).

We have 69 active LIRs in the part of Africa served by the RIPE NCC.
We have made 149 IPv4 allocations to these LIRs (about a /12 when
combined) and assigned 49 AS Numbers.

We have made eight PI assignments to network operators in Africa
since July 2001. There were all between /24 and /22.

I hope this information is useful to you.

Best regards,

--
leo vegoda
Registration Services Manager