[ppml] Policy Proposal 2003-15: IPv4 Allocation Policy for the Africa Portion of the ARIN Region

leo vegoda leo at ripe.net
Wed Sep 24 03:22:55 EDT 2003

Hi William,

On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 05:55:34PM -0700, william at elan.net wrote:

[...]

> I also would like to ask if similar proposal has been put forward
> for North African RIPE region (to reduce allocations to /22) and if so
> when and how it is being considered. In general I think it would be good
> idea for both RIPE and ARIN to begin developing common allocation policies
> for African regions it serves based on feedback received from those
> regions and to allow for either transition when Afrinic becomes RIR.

So far there has not been any discussion of separate policies
for the African portion of the RIPE NCC service region. However,
if there is demand then I am sure the topic can be raised on
the <address-policy-wg at ripe.net> list and at RIPE 47 in January.

It is worth noting that current RIPE policy allows LIRs to
request PI address space for network operators. Both PA and PI
assignment policies are "exactly identical with regards to the
amount of address space assigned, the registration requirements,
etc. This also implies that assigning PI space prefixes longer
than 24 bits is perfectly acceptable if the request does not
merit 8 bits of address space to be assigned."

(http://www.ripe.net/ripe/docs/pi-pa.html)

Essentially, network operators in countries served by the RIPE
NCC can receive small (or large) PI assignments when justified.
There are no direct charges for the assignments as the RIPE NCC
provides service on a membership subscription basis. The request
for PI address space does not have to come from the LIR run by
their upstream provider. If their upstream is unwilling to submit
a request then they can ask any other LIR to submit if for them.

I hope this clarifies things for you.

Best regards,

--
leo vegoda