[ppml] Allocation and reallocation

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Mon Oct 27 15:17:53 EST 2003

In a message written on Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 12:01:21PM -0600, Rob Vinson wrote:
> That has always been my take. I know whenever customers have asked me to
> expand their /28 to a /27 (or whatever) - I ask them to show 80%
> utilization. It's also in our AUP. Wrong or right, end user accountability
> makes it easier for me to validate a new /20 request.

Following up on Rob's 80%...some google found the following:

http://www.netsonic.net/ip-alloc-policy.php
http://www.stickdog.com/ippol.phtml
http://www.hostdepot.com/Company/Policies/IPAddress.asp
http://www.more.net/technical/netserv/tcpip/ipreq.html
http://www.imagina.com/support/ipjust/ipjustguidelines.html
http://www.coop.net/about_us/government/policy/addresses.php
http://www.onsitenj.com/dialup/faq/ip_allocation_policy.htm

It would seem a lot of ISP's out there are holding end-users to an
80% rule.  If that's wrong we need to fix something, because
lots of people are getting the wrong idea.