[ppml] Allocation and reallocation

Charles Scott cscott at gaslightmedia.com
Mon Oct 27 17:07:08 EST 2003

Leo:
  Note that most of these policies say that the end-user must have
"efficiently utilized" 80% ...  I take this to mean that 80% of the space
is deployed in the network, not that 80% of all possible addresses are
assigned to hosts. I suppose then that I could have been causing trouble
for no reason if one accepts that no ISP would hold a customer to having
80% of their address space assigned to specific hosts (or broadcast
addresses). If you look at it that way, a subnet that has 25% of the
addresses in use currently and will have 50% in use in one year is being
efficiently utilized and that entire sub-net is ticked off against the 80%
utilization of the assignment.
  RFC2050, which is the stated basis for the ARIN policy is pretty clear
(as mud) that the reccomendation end-users is the 25%/50% guideline and
that the 80% criteria only applies to reassignemnt. So, I can't see how
anyone would hold any end-user to 80% host utilization of a netblock.
What's left to the imagination is what the 25%/50% guideline means. Is
that applied accross the board for the number of host addreses in use in
the entire assignment, or is that per sub-net in use. If it's applied
accross the entire assignment, then the H/D ratio would be a better
indication of efficient utilization (only for end-user utilization of
course).

Chuck Scott