[ppml] Policy Proposal 2003-10: Apply the HD Ratio to All Future IPv4 Allocations

Louis Lee louie at equinix.com
Thu Oct 23 17:33:54 EDT 2003

On Tue, Sep 16, 2003 at 04:17:00PM +0100, Michael.Dillon at radianz.com wrote:
> > Is there a good reason to abandon the relatively simple
> > 80% rule in favor of a mathematically more complicated
> > formula that effectively drops the % utilization rules
> > by a noticable amount?
>
> Yes. Most of this is explained in RFC 3194 and in the
> APNIC paper whose URL was incorrectly given in the
> original posting of my justification of the policy.

I would suggest that we do not abandon the original 80%
rule completely.  Perhaps the policy can start off with:

  If an organization requesting an IPv4 allocation cannot
  meet the utilization rate stated in the primary criteria
  that ARIN uses, than the HD ratio may be applied to
  determine adequate utilization for approval of the
  request.

I don't want to explicitly state the 80% figure and how
it's applied to the most recent allocation or all previous
allocations.  This way, the policy is a little more
flexible to allow a change of the 80% figure elsewhere.

(I've got another thought on this issue that I'm sure I'll
remember just after sending this message. :)

Louie
Louis Lee                             louie at equinix.com
Staff Network Engineer            company: 650/513-7000
Equinix, Inc.                        desk: 650/513-7162
http://www.equinix.com/               fax: 650/513-7903