[ppml] allocate/assign

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Thu Oct 23 18:23:55 EDT 2003

I'm going to propose two statements.  I don't know how to make them
shorter yet still be precise.

- ARIN designates stewardship of a range of addresses to an organization.

- Approved organizations may designate stewardship of a subset of the
  addresses to an subordinate organization.

Today the only approved organizations are ISP Members (with "allocations"
in the current nomenclature).

These statements are also generic enough to allow for new membership
types that can or cannot sub-designate stewardship, and also to
allow the possibility that an ARIN member could designate stewardship
to their customer, that customer could go through some "approval"
process with ARIN, and then be allowed to sub-designate a second
level (or further).

Neither are required, neither are prohibited.

The only thing I don't like about these statements is that they are
quite long, and people will want to use something shorter in day
to day conversation.