[ppml] Policy Proposal 2003-10: Apply the HD Ratio to All Future IPv4 Allocations

Charles Scott cscott at gaslightmedia.com
Fri Oct 24 08:40:31 EDT 2003

PPML:
  I pointed out a while ago, and I don't believe that anyone challenged,
that RFC3194 specifically describes issues related to actual
implementation of address space (end-users assignments) and not issues
related to the consumption of an allocation that is being assigned in
blocks to end user organizations. It was, and still is, my belief that
confusion over use of the terms allocation and assignment is what is
making consideration of this proposal difficult--which is why I brought up
that point.
  If one accepts that RFC3194 relates to end-user address management, then
it must be evaluated in relation to the 25%/50% guidelines for end-user
utilization, not the 80% guideline for consumption of an ISP's allocation.
>From that, it's clear that the current guidelines are generous and should
impose no hardship on end-user management or ISP allocations and therefore
the application of H/D ratio to allocations is inappropriate.
  To complicate things further, I think some ISP's have incorrectly caused
the 80% guideline to affect their use of address space that they utilize
internally by not specifically "assigning" blocks of addresses for their
own use.
  I therefore believe that abandoning the 80% guideline is inadvisable,
that the added inefficiency of allocation that would cause is unnecessary,
and would ask that the above points be addressed before adoption of any
such policy.

Chuck Scott