[ppml] Policy Proposal 2003-15: IPv4 Allocation Policy for the Africa Portion of the ARIN Region

Calvin Browne calvin at orange-tree.alt.za
Wed Oct 1 04:49:22 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-09-30 at 22:17, Leo Bicknell wrote:
> In a message written on Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 11:01:07AM +0100, Michael.Dillon at radianz.com wrote:
> > I'm beginning to wonder if we are being dragged into some
> > internal Afrinic politics here. The transition plan for
> > Afrinic is that in February 2004, i.e. 3 months after the
> > ARIN meeting, they plan to process IP requests themselves
> > using ARIN and/or RIPE only for a 2nd opinion.
>
> Do others believe this date?  I ask because if we do, doesn't it
> make this more or less a moot point?  It seems to me the quickest
> we could expect this policy to be in place (assuming it was rubber
> stamped by all involved) is around the first of the year.  If this
> date is good, that means this policy might help for 1-2 months.

I think the date is optimistic - my feeling (and its just that) is
towards the end of next year.

What I am sure about is that we have passed a point of no return, and we
have something that everyone can support (or that everyone is equally
unhappy with :) ).
Remember, AfriNIC has to merge 3 different allocation policies, deal in
more languages than I've seen elsewhere and take care of all the other
things Randy alluded to in a previous e-mail.

regards

--Calvin

 Calvin Browne calvin at UniForum.org.za c at lvin.co.za
               Office phone: 080 314 0077        +27 11 314-0077
               http://orange-tree.alt.za Mobile: +27 83 303-0663
               Call me for Linux/Internet consulting