[ppml] The WIANA registry

Michael.Dillon at radianz.com Michael.Dillon at radianz.com
Fri May 2 11:04:36 EDT 2003

>> Does any RIR have a simple and clear set of instructions for first-time

>> applicants to follow that includes an appeal procedure? NO! And that is

>> the crux of the problem with organizations that are not mainstream
ISPs.

>http://www.arin.net ?  Click on one of the "Registration" links and
>read the directions get ASNs, IP addresses, pizza, etc.

I said "simple and clear set of instructions for first-time applicants".
The stuff on the ARIN website is not simple and clear for a first-time
applicant to understand. The word "appeal" does not appear on either the
IPv4 Guidlines page or the IPv4 Policies page.

Your response reminds me of an incident shortly before the French
revolution. The people were demonstrating in the streets and the queen
asked why they were complaining. A servant explained that the people
didn't have any bread to eat. "Well then, let them eat cake!", said the
queen. Not long after that, the queen's head was chopped off putting an
end to the arrogant statements of a privileged insider. In the months that
followed, most of arrogant insiders, i.e. the nobility, were also
executed.

I'm suggesting that those of us who are privileged to be ARIN insiders
should come down off of our pedestals and realize that the old order is
being swept away. We need to change. We need to explain what we do, why we
do it, and how we do it. It does no one any good to complain that
outsiders are not following our rules when many of us barely understand
what the rules are.

--Michael Dillon