[ppml] The WIANA registry

Schultz, Ken Ken.Schultz at marconi.com
Fri May 2 07:48:56 EDT 2003

I think that my point was a little different. If you consider the
requirements of the justification process and what it would take to justify
utilization of a /8, these are not trivial tasks. Right now, they may not be
big enough to justify usage of a /20 much less a /8. (I don't know, and I
don't think it matters much). Let's assume that they eventually GROW to be
large enough to justify large chunks of address space, even though they are
likely not that big today.

Now assume that we reach the day where WIANA has indeed applied, gone
through the process, and have justified a /8. Now, when the decision is to
be made regarding which /8 to give them, does it really matter all that much
WHICH /8 they receive? Does 1/8 really have that much more intrinsic value
than 122/8. I don't think so.

If they receive 122/8 and whine because they didn't get 1/8, why would
anyone care about the whining? Will there be a spot on the justification
form for "Will you whine about our answer? How much?"

If they justify address space and it's not a /8, and they whine, does anyone
care about that either?

I'm sorry if it sounds like I am oversimplifying the problem, but sometimes
the problem really is that simple.

I don't think that IANA/ARIN/et al should assign the 1/8 without a
justification process. Nor do I think that they should now reserve the 1/8
in order to possibly fill WIANA's future request. They should just go about
their normal paperwork handling procedures, and assignment procedures, as if
they had never seen WIANA's website.

If every mom and pop network is able to justify address space as big as a
/8, then fine. Perhaps that will push IPv6 adequately.

Actually, what are the ramifications if hijacking became commonplace?
Remember we are only talking about address space that has been applied for
and justified. It sounds like we'd potentially be looking at another swamp.
But is this really a concern when we are talking about /8's ?