[ppml] RE: [arin-announce] Policy Proposal 2003-3: Residential Customer Privacy

Einar Bohlin ebohlin at UU.NET
Mon Mar 17 16:56:11 EST 2003

The two parts of a reassignment are contact information
and utilization information.  Even though ISPs seem
to be taking over the contact part, the utilization
information is still valuable.

The simple reassignment is nice to have so customers
can look up and confirm their own networks.  And even
when you have your own database, whois lookups are good
now and then as a sanity check.

Personally I don't like the Private Individual proposal.
I believe it's enough that we're already able to list Private
Residence (and you don't have to list a phone or email).

Also, simple reassignments are used for more than
just individuals, they need to have the organization
info and be seen.

Regards,

Einar Bohlin, IP Analyst
IP Team - Ashburn Virginia - WorldCom