[ppml] Policy Proposal 2003-1: Human Point of Contact

Hyunseog Ryu HRyu at norlight.com
Thu Mar 6 17:49:13 EST 2003

Hi there,

I missed some of emails regarding this thread because of my busy schedule.
So if I say same thing which other people said already, please forgive me.
^.^

In my point, what will be the penalty for this policy?
And how does ARIN check this policy implementation?
Somebody from ARIN call POC every year - maybe renewal time for membership
fee - to check whether ARIN members are following this or not?
I believe this is a kind of ISP or Enterprise internal policy to keep their
contact point as current as possible.
I had some difficulty to reach somebody for ISP contact when I had some
security issue or something like that.
But if we do make policy for organization internal policy like this, we
will have policy after policy, and without  mechanism to check whether
somebody is following this policy or not, I think this policy will be dead
policy, and that's not a good practice for overall policy concept.

If we have something like similar policy for yellow page or website contact
information by FCC or some government agency for validation of contact
point information, I may think this might be good policy.
But I don't think this will be a good policy for everybody.

Maintaining contact point to be reachable by ARIN Whois database will be
ISP's or End-user's responsibility, not ARIN's.
If we want to keep this as much as detailed, I believe it's enough to put
"recommendation" in ARIN's template to state this.

Hyun

Hyunseog Ryu / CCDA, MCSE, CCIE candidate(written test passed)
Senior Network Engineer/Applications Engineering
Norlight Telecommunications, Inc.
275 North Corporate Drive
Brookfield, WI 53045-5818
Tel. +1.262.792.7965
Fax. +1.262.792.7733
email: hryu at norlight.com

                      william at elan.net
                      Sent by:                 To:       Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com>
                      owner-ppml at arin.n        cc:       ppml at arin.net, (bcc: Hyunseog Ryu/Brookfield/Norlight)
                      et                       Fax to:
                                               Subject:  RE: [ppml] Policy Proposal 2003-1: Human Point of Contact

                      03/06/2003 02:32
                      PM

Ok, so to summarize you do not actually want human contact poc but want
human reachable via poc information. This I'm not sure is really up to
ARIN to tell their subscriber members how to setup their telephone system
or email server (comes again as operational issue), nor does there seem to
be clear way to test and punish if its not done so.

Rather better would be to actually have policy that says they must have
valid contact (i.e phone# and email are valid and ARIN can send email and
get reply for example) and specify as recomendation that as an option it
must be possible to talk to somebody on the phone or get human response
(as recomendation it might well be ok).