[ppml] Leaders or followers (times 2)

Richard Jimmerson richardj at arin.net
Mon Mar 3 08:42:46 EST 2003

Hello Michael,

> The ARIN policy process contains the following:
>
>   The Advisory Council will consider the discussions and
>   judge the level of consensus in the community in order
>   to prepare a final proposal for consideration by the
>   ARIN Board of Trustees.
>
> I take this to mean that the AC can write the proposal with any
> wording that they may choose, i.e. in "preparing" a final proposal,
> they don't have to just pass through wording from either the meetings
> or the list.

It is possible the ARIN AC would judge the level of consensus
that resulted from a policy proposal discussion and leave the
original text as written by the author.  It is also possible
community discussion may yield cases where the ARIN AC would
judge there is favorable consensus for a policy proposal with
slight modifications to language.

In either case, the paragraph that follows the one you have cited
above requires that the final proposal be sent to the mailing list
for a "Last-Call for Comments".

  The final proposal shall be posted on the ARIN web site on
  a publicly accessible page, and a "Last-Call for Comments"
  will be announced on ARIN members and public policy mailing
  lists for a discussion period of no less than ten (10) regular
  working days. This period can be extended if sufficient
  comments are made that warrant further discussion and
  consideration.

Best Regards,

Richard Jimmerson
Director of Operations