[ppml] Draft 2 of proposal for ip assignment with sponsorship

leo vegoda leo at ripe.net
Sat Mar 1 06:28:44 EST 2003

Hi William,

william at elan.net writes:

[...]

>> IPv4 CIDR block      Default RIPE NCC            Smallest RIPE NCC
>>                         Allocation           Allocation / Assignment
>>       62/8                   /19                     /19
>>       80/8                   /20                     /20
>>       81/8                   /20                     /20
>>          82/8                        /20                     /20
>>      193/8                   /19                     /29
>>      194/8                   /19                     /29
>>      195/8                   /19                     /29
>>      212/8                   /19                     /19
>>      213/8                   /19                     /19
>>      217/8                   /20                     /20
>How am I not correct if on the same RIPE document it says "Allocations or
>assignments smaller than the default size have been made to users
>requesting Provider Independent (PI) IPv4 address space." (did I see /29
>there above?).

The longest prefixes have come from the oldest /8s: 193/8 and 194/7. In
the other /8s we do not issue anything longer than a /19 or /20
(depending on the /8).

The RIPE policy document "Provider Independent -vs- Provider
Aggregatable Address Space" (ripe-127) states:

    Assignment criteria for both kinds of address  space
    will  be  exactly  identical  w.r.t.  the  amount of
    address space assigned,  the  registration  require-
    ments  etc..   This  also  implies that assigning PI
    space prefixes longer  than  24  bits  is  perfectly
    acceptable  if  the request does not merit 8 bits of
    address space to be assigned.

[...]

>But to be more to the point RIPE has a procedure in place on how LIR can
>do micro-assignments (they call it Provider Independent Address Space):
>http://www.ripe.net/training/lir/material/slides/page103.htm
>http://www.ripe.net/training/lir/material/slides/page106.htm
>By that procedure LIR can request PI space on behelf of the end-user and
>then RIPE assigns that space to LIR and LIR to the end-user.

Actually, the space would be assigned directly to the end user by the
RIPE NCC. The LIR just makes the request on behalf of the end user.

I hope this clarifies things for you.

Kind regards,

--
leo vegoda