[ppml] A proposal to modify proposal 2003-9 (WHOIS and INADDR access)

John M. Brown john at chagres.net
Tue Jun 10 18:32:22 EDT 2003

Yes a .GZ file called  arin.inaddr.zone.gz  accessible
via FTP and updated daily would be perfect.

I believe that an AUP is in order to protect ARIN's
systems from abuse and to allow ARIN the ability to
prevent someone continuing to abuse.

Attachment 14 or N of the gTLD ICANN Registry Agreement seems
reasonable to me.

As an example.
http://www.icann.org/tlds/agreements/org/registry-agmt-appn-22oct02.htm

Whats nice about this agreement is that its ongoing.  Don't need
to sign an agreement each time you want the data.  Would be nice
if the WHOIS data had an annual agreement that way you don't
have to request each and every time.

This agreement gives ARIN the ability to terminate access should
someone start doing things not permitted in the agreement, and
the ability to restrict access to once per day.

I'd hate to see someone slam the FTP server with down load
requests every hour.

Part of the issue here, I think, is that by having a clear
and simple AUP, everyone knows what the rules are and there
can't be any (well can't is a strong word ;))  finger
waving if someone is yanked from the system.

Having no policy could create the issue of a decision being
arbitrary, that's worse, IMHO.

Let me know when I can get that GZ file :)

john brown