[ppml] Policy Proposal 2003-3: Residential Customer Privacy

James T. Moore jamoore2 at vt.edu
Fri Jul 25 14:38:26 EDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "J Bacher" <jb at jbacher.com>
To: <ppml at arin.net>
Sent: Friday, July 25, 2003 12:39 PM
Subject: Re: [ppml] Policy Proposal 2003-3: Residential Customer Privacy

> If you have a problem with any of my residential customers, then I am the
> authority entitled to determine what action needs to be taken in event of
> abuse or general problem.

I think that this is most often the case. When I run across a problem where
I need to contact an abuse contact I would much rather contact the upstream
provider(s) and notify them of the problem for serveral reasons:

    1. The abuse could be intentional by the abusing organization

    2. The abusing organization may lack the technical knowledge
        and ability to correct the abusive action (i.e. open relays)

    3. I am often limited in the action that I can take against the
        abusing organization if they choose not to take corrective
        action (outside of time and cost consuming legal action
        which is often unjustified by the situation, however, an
        upstream provider can discontinue service to the abusing
        organization for lack of corrective action)

 I propose that abuse contacts be required when requesting addresses
directly from ARIN, but remain optional when addresses are assigned
to a down stream customer.

J.T. Moore