[ppml] Policy Proposal 2003-3: Residential Customer Privacy

J Bacher jb at jbacher.com
Fri Jul 25 12:39:29 EDT 2003

At 05:30 PM 7/25/2003 +0100, Michael.Dillon at radianz.com wrote:
> >ISPs with downstream residential customers may substitute
> >that ISP's name for the customer's name, e.g. 'Private
> >customer - XYZ Network', and the customer's street address
> >may read 'Private Residence.' Each private downstream residential
> >reassignment must have accurate upstream Abuse and Technical POCs
> >visible on the WHOIS record for that block.
>
>It's nice and short, it gets to the point and it is understandable.
>All good things. But it still is a waste of our time to deal with
>things like this. This proposal is picking nits, trying to solve a
>specific special case before we've dealt with the general problem.
>I suggest that we reject this proposal.

I disagree.  If an upstream is willing to assume responsibility for an
assignment, the customer is entitled to have non-published information just
as it could in the telco world.  This is not a nit -- it is a privacy issue
that I consider to very important.

I seriously doubt that my customers have an AUP let alone one that is
published.

If you have a problem with any of my residential customers, then I am the
authority entitled to determine what action needs to be taken in event of
abuse or general problem.

If you want the name of the residential customer that is using that IP
address(es), then get a subpeona.