[ppml] Proposal: make Abuse Handle *REQUIRED* for AS Registration

Lawrence Baldwin baldwinL at mynetwatchman.com
Thu Jul 24 14:08:18 EDT 2003

-- Jim McBurnett wrote:

>I would like to have a clause that after 3 cycles of the failed attempt
>that the assignments be pulled........ But we know that can't happen...
>(3 cycles- 1 cycle per quarter--- so 9 months)
>If a user can't have a mail server working in 9 months.........

I am totally with you.

I agree that in a practical sense you can't go round ripping peoples
assignments immediately just because they failed to perform proper account
maintenance.  However that has to ultimately be a reprecussion...and frankly
I really don't care how generous it is...4 weeks, 2 months, 6
months...doesn't much matter to me....I think any time limit would have a
positve effect.

People know that if they don't re-register their Domain, they'll ultimatley
lose that domain.  Though we have similar stale info problems in Domain
Whois, I'm guessing it is MUCH less of a problem becaue of this (although
with 10yr registrations it may well get worse again).  We need something on
the IP/AS side to encourage proper account maint.

-- Lawrence.