[ppml] Whois AUP Proposal - updated/new version

william at elan.net william at elan.net
Tue Apr 29 12:32:51 EDT 2003

http://www.elan.net/~william/arin_proposal_whois_aup-v2.htm

The above link and listed below in full is proposal for whois aup & bulk
whois access. Its primarily my original bulk whois proposal with updates
based on suggestions on meeting in Memphis (i.e. making clear what
policies/aups are to be changed and how in particular bulk whois is to be
changed, making clear standard whois should only include reference to AUP
and not entire AUP, etc).

For Richard - this is going as new proposal to be published on ARIN
webiste as such (unless ARIN AC changes its mind after my appeal which
you'll see posted on the maillist tomorrow or thursday). I'm aware that
proposals are usually sent around month before the meeting, but I see
nothing that prevents me from doing it at any other time like right now.

As usual, if you see problems or have particular suggestions on issues or
just with wording, please fee free to reply to this message and discuss
this on ppml. I'll make proper changes to proposal based on your suggestions.

Below is actual proposal:
Proposal for ARIN Whois Acceptable Use Policy and Bulk Whois Access

This proposal obsoletes current bulk whois policy 2002-4 and changes
current Bulk Whois Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) to become general Whois
Acceptable Use policy that would apply to all whois queries. In
particular:

1. An acceptable use policy called "Whois Acceptable Use Policy" is to be
published on ARIN website as follows:

"ARIN Whois Data is for Internet operations and technical research purposes
pertaining to Internet Operations only. It may not be used for advertising,
direct marketing, marketing research or similar purposes. Use of ARIN
whois data for these activities is exicitly forbidden. ARIN requests to
be notified of any such activities or suspicions thereof.

Redistributing ARIN Whois Data is explicitly forbidden. It is permissible
to publish data on an individual query or small number of queries at a
time basis as long as reasonable precautions are taken to prevent automated
querying by database harvesters ARIN reserves the right to restrict access
to the whois database in its sole discretion to ensure operational stability.

ARIN may may restrict or terminate your access to the whois database for
failure to abide by these terms of use"

2. Automated internet-based access to whois data with individual queries
(such as by using whois protocol) must  include one-line statement that
data is provided and can only be used according to 'ARIN Whois Acceptable
Use Policy' with a link to where the policy is published on ARIN website,
all other access to whois data must include entire ARIN Whois AUP

3. A policy for bulk whois access is to be published on ARIN website as
follows:

"Special access to entire whois database or large portion of it can be
obtained by any organization or rndividual provided that they agree in
writing to ARIN Whois Acceptable Use Policy. This data should not include
any information that is marked as private.

Access to whois data can be by individual whois queries, an ftp or other
type of download of entire desired dataset or by hard media distribution
(such as cdrom). Access that is provided by means of public internet
should require authentication and ARIN can request authentication
settings to be changed on regular basis for those desiring access multiple
times. Requests for cdrom or similar media should be filled and signed
each time this is requested and ARIN may charge appropriate fee to cover
costs of the media"