[ppml] Industry self regulation (was IP address theft?)

Bill Darte billd at cait.wustl.edu
Wed Apr 30 10:46:29 EDT 2003

Subject: Re: [ppml] Industry self regulation (was IP address theft?)

> Thus spake "Mury" <mury at goldengate.net>
> > ARIN (RIRs) could "insist" or just "encourage" members to filter out
> > certain blocks of IPs for various reasons.
> >
> > It would only take a percentage of members actually doing
> it, especially
> > if the big dogs were on board, to make it work.
>
> That would do no good, as WIANA claims no intent to announce 1/8.
Stated intentions do not always represent the truth either in current
intention or future change of heart....

> > While it seems to me that someone needs to work with WIANA to
> > make their block legitimate, what would stop the next group from
> > doing the same thing?
>
> The only way to stop squatters is to make it easy for them to
> get land (aka
> addresses) legitimately.  Real world precedent clearly favors
> the squatter
> when the owner of record isn't doing anything useful with the land.

Ownership is still 'ownership' in your land analogy and the interpretation
of 'useful' may be broadly different... the squatter may think that idle
lands should be grazed (useful value) while the owner recognizes the
fragility of the land as being incapable of being grazed without long term
damage, but recognizes the land as a safehaven for a ecosystem (useful
value).  One sees the land as being wasted....squats and truely wastes the
land.

ARIN does not restrict access to address space beyond the 'prudent'
stewardship policies that the membership and collective involved Internet
community has prescribed.

Bill Darte
ARIN Advisory Council