[ppml] The WIANA registry

jlewis at lewis.org jlewis at lewis.org
Mon Apr 28 13:32:41 EDT 2003

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003, David Conrad wrote:

> They have unilaterally asserted the use of 1.0.0.0/8, which according
> to the _only_ authority used to date (the IANA) has been reserved since
> 1981.  By this unilateral assertion, they are attempting to remove that
> address space from the pool of unallocated addresses without following
> existing, published address allocation policies.

Their site says they are not part of the internet, and that you can't get
to the internet from their network without NAT.  The only problem I see is
that when (not if) IANA allocates 1/8 to someone, WIANA will be screwed,
as even with NAT, their 1/8 users will likely have issues reaching the
real internet 1/8 users.  It's the same problem I've seen with lots of
networks where some consultant or admin a few clues short randomly picked
IPv4 addresses for company network.  It works fine until you get internet
connectivity and realize some internet site you want to access is
unreachable because it's part of your "private" network.

If IANA wants to put WIANA in their place, they should just allocate 1/8
to one of the RIRs now.  I'd be happy to trade in some 69/8 space for
1.0.0.0/19. :)

 Atlantic Net                |