[ppml] The WIANA registry

David Conrad david.conrad at nominum.com
Mon Apr 28 12:52:43 EDT 2003

Michael,

On Monday, April 28, 2003, at 01:41  AM, Michael.Dillon at radianz.com
wrote:
>> They are trying to steal 1/8.  Why should anyone condone such action?
> They are trying to use it, not steal it.

Which is what a car jacker might say.

They have unilaterally asserted the use of 1.0.0.0/8, which according
to the _only_ authority used to date (the IANA) has been reserved since
1981.  By this unilateral assertion, they are attempting to remove that
address space from the pool of unallocated addresses without following
existing, published address allocation policies.

This is theft.

> The RIRs no longer need to conserve IPv4 address space.

This isn't about conserving address space or whether or not they are
using address space for a valid reason.  The Internet works because
most people see it is in their self-interest to cooperate.  Part of
this cooperation is to agree to use the Internet registry system
including the IANA as a meeting point to define global addressability.
The folks at WIANA have chosen to ignore this cooperative system for,
as far as I can tell, no good reason.  Perhaps you have different
information?

Rgds,
-drc