[ppml] RIR's should have power to suspend Member's registration in specified circumstances

Chris Jones chris at telespan.co.uk
Sun Oct 27 06:27:45 EST 2002

Despite the resultant frustration to users trying to contact the offending
organisations, I would agree with that.

> If the answer is "yes", we do want contact information, then
> what is the
> point of having it if it is not correct?

Absolutely!

> Perhaps we could take a more gentle approach and do something like:
>
> 1. If someone reports contact information is incorrect, ARIN can
>    investigate (send an e-mail and/or make a phone call).
> 2. If the investigation reveals that it is incorrect, ARIN can put a
>    flag on the record in WHOIS.

I believe that ARIN does do this. Unfortunately, their automated response
system does not appear to recognise requests for contact information yet.

> 3. The next time the organisation contacts ARIN (for more
> space, annual
>    renewal, or whatever), then they have to fix the contact data.
>
> No, this won't fix problems for inactive organisations, but
> you probably
> won't be getting too much spam from them, right?  :)

Probably correct.

> If we're worried about extra workload for ARIN, then we can
> use varying
> degrees of automation for step #1.

Should not be any real problem, I would have thought. It only requires
someone with some reasonable degree of Perl scripting knowledge for a day or
so.
--
>From
Chris Jones
mailto: chris at telespan.co.uk
web: http://www.telespan.co.uk/

My PGP Key:-
RSA 2048/1024     Key ID:  0x2B1F1593
Fingerprint:  B073 FE31 0A6A 6BD6 C4DB  750D 2B30 D0E7 2B1F 1593