[ppml] Question?

McBurnett, Jim jmcburnett at msmgmt.com
Mon Dec 2 14:59:35 EST 2002

Purpose:
To design a method of stopping SPAMmers that becomes a standard rather that the current haphazard Blacklist approach.
This should include creation of new procedures and methods by the industry with the aid of IETF engineering to identify and to correct the problem in a politically correct manner. (I hate to say it this way, but to say: Shut down the Spammers T-1 is not quite the correct approach, however gratifying it may be)

Outcome: An RFC or other similar document with guidelines defining SPAM, listing unacceptable practices to limit or stop 		abuses of individuals or companies.
		Along with as clear, concise (as much as it can be coming from a commitee) language that defines SPAM and the possible actions that are recommended to ISP's, End users, and Domain Admins to fight it.

Finally:  If the committee comes out and says:
	Should a block of Address from ISP A is identified as being a massive SPAMer, then the AUP's from it's provider with support from the community at large and the RIR's, IETF, IANA, may take these actions, I believe many will adopted it, and the ones who refuse will become the minority since the current outcry about SPAM is just going to grow.

Folks, we are on the verge of email becoming the next snail mail if we sit back and watch and allow the junk to flow.
If anyone follows the news and the FTC's actions on junk mail, how can we not think about some kind of action?
Did you enjoy getting 5,10 or 20 pieces of junk mail daily from the US Postal Service when this was the norm?

Suggestions anyone?

Jim