corrected: Policy 2001-2, Multihoming is sufficient justifica tion for /24 from provider (fwd)

Barbara Roseman barbara at gblx.net
Tue Nov 6 13:04:46 EST 2001

The current ARIN ASN registration guidelines read as follows:

"In order to be assigned an ASN, each requesting organization must provide
ARIN with verification that it has one of the following:

"A unique routing policy (its policy differs from its border gateway
peers)
"A multi-homed site.

"ASNs are issued based on current need. An organization should request an
ASN only when it is already multi-homed or will immediately become
multi-homed."

The "immediately become multi-homed" section seems most relevant to this
discussion. I would suggest that for the purposes of the ASN request
template, an acceptable statement for b) ii)  could be "/24 to be provided
by upstream provider x or y".

I agree with Cathy that we need to get Registration Services to make the
call on this one so we aren't creating what Einar identified as a Catch
22.

-Barb