corrected: Policy 2001-2, Multihoming is sufficient justifica tion for /24 from provider (fwd)

Borchers, Mark mborchers at splitrock.net
Tue Nov 6 15:15:18 EST 2001

Isn't the intent of the policy simply to give ISP's the leeway
to assign /24's to multihomed customers in contradiction of other
policies intended to conserve address space?  Thus, the policy is
not so much a guarantee of space to the end site as it is a way
to indemnify ISP's in the business of accounting for usage.

As such, perhaps ARIN need not get into the issue of whether it's
OK to assign the space before the customer has their ASN.

ASN's are more finite than address space and the bar for qualifying
for them should be higher.  Keep the requirement in place to have
the /24, and let ISP's work with their customers as they are in the
process of obtaining ASN's.  It would be up to the ISP whether to
actually assign the space, assign it on a conditional basis, or
just reserve it.