guideline for name-based web hosting justification

Shane Kerr shane at ripe.net
Wed Sep 13 04:59:40 EDT 2000

> On Mon, Sep 11, 2000 at 05:24:34PM -0600, Alec H. Peterson wrote:
> > Matt Bailey wrote:
> > >
> > > For those of us that do accounting via IP how do you expect us to us Name
> > > Based Virtuals? Until there is a method for accounting all traffic to a
> > > domain name without using IP I see this as totally unreasonable. We base all
> > > of our security filters and traffic filters on a customers IP assigned to
> > > them. We also have hardware that can not support name based virtuals and
> > > thus has a NIC card for each site? Explain IN DETAIL the method used to
> > > account for these in our requests.
> >
> > How about parsing access logs?
>
> Doesn't work if you are billing for bandwidth...

I hate to stick my neck out here, and I recognise that the technology
doesn't really exist, but creating an Apache mod to record the number
of bits sent to/from a given virtual domain should be straightforward.
Perhaps ARIN could fund the appropriate work at Apache for this (IIRC
ARIN has plenty of money for this kind of work right now).  I can't
imagine it would cost in excess of $100k, and might help everybody
concerned.

It could even produce output that looks like MRTG.  :)

Shane