ARIN Policy on IP-based Web Hosting

Charles Scott cscott at gaslightmedia.com
Fri Sep 1 00:07:31 EDT 2000

On Thu, 31 Aug 2000, Alec H. Peterson wrote:

> We're going in circles here.
>
> You don't like the policy.  That's fine.  Work to get it changed (which
> you've already started doing).
>
> And, in the future, follow the appropriate mailing lists so that we don't
> end up creating policies that everybody doesn't like.

Alec:
  I believe I've been following the mailling lists and I've looked at the
archives. I don't see any specific discussion on this topic until the last
few days. Further, there was limited information regarding this associated
with any announcements for the April meeting and both the listed
presentation and minutes indicated to me that consideration was being made
for excemptions, including the following quote.

  April 3, 2000

  Using HTTP 1.1 | Presentation | Background Info

  ... A majority was in favor of grandfathering web-hosting allocations
  and providing for some exceptions. It was suggested to develop clear and
  concise documentation.

  I am all in favor of encouraging the use of name based virtual hosting
where appropriate, but I don't think the resulting policy was as I would
have expected from the reference above. Unfortuantely, I can't make it to
the meetings. It would sure be nice if we could use these forums to
provide greater access for those who can't attend.

Chuck Scott
Gaslight Media